September 1, 2011

How Laughing Can Help the Homeless

I'm a massive animal lover. I've got three dogs of my own, but give me a couple of acres, and I could easily start my very own dog farm. If - ahem, I mean, when - I win the lotto, you can so count me in as the Crazy Dog Lady.

My super, uber-fabulous retired racing greyhound, Reba, who I
adopted from REGAP in Bethany, Conn., about five years ago.
I know you're not supposed to have favorites,
but I can't help it.
Later this month, Funny Bone Comedy Club & Restaurant in Manchester, Conn., will host a show to help support the Our Companions Domestic Animal Sanctuary, a local nonprofit that's based on the idea that there's "a proper home for nearly every pet." (Bravo to that!) Comedians for this year's show include Josh Gondelman and James Dorsey. (Though I've not seen these guys live, I did go to this event last year and had a great time.)

Our Companions is currently in the midst of trying to raise enough moolah to fund the construction of an animal sanctuary in Ashford, Conn., on 43 acres of donated land, where they'll be able to house rescued pets, offer dog training programs, build a dog park, host a spay and neuter clinic, and give you plenty of trails to walk and hike with your furry friends.

My rescued greyhound, Flash, who loves nothing more
than tearing up our lawn at 45 mph ...
and then sleeping for the next 10 hours.
(Photo by Sean Flynn Photography.)
Not into dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs, alpacas,  or any other sort of animal? Fine. I won't judge you (well, yes I will), but there's no good reason you can't still come by for a night and enjoy lots of laughs, a few drinks, and some tasty pub food. In the end, it'll all benefit Our Companions and the many critters they are trying to help out. 

Here are all the detes, people:

Date - Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011
Time - Doors open at 6 p.m.; show starts at 7 p.m.
Cost - $30 a person (Think of all those homeless animals who will one day may have a place to hang!)
Where to Buy Your Tickets - Go here. Now.
Other Benefits - Go on a shopping trip before the show! The comedy club is located right in the Buckland Hills Mall. So you'll get a fun night out, free parking, and, duh, you'll help all kinds of deserving animals, like this gal:


Miss Trixie, otherwise known as "The Meatball."
We rescued her from the city pound in Windsor, Conn.,
where she would've otherwise been euthanized.
What can I say? She rules.




No comments:

Post a Comment