October 5, 2011

How Art Can Turn into Action - Storrs, Conn.

Last week, I stopped during my lunch break into the Benton Museum on the University of Connecticut Storrs campus, where several UConn faculty are showing their work in a special exhibition running through Oct. 16. (FYI, the museum is FREE.)

The work of one of the faculty professors - Frank Noelker, an associate professor of art at the university, was the first to catch my eye. His photographic portraits of sheep and goats - all of which were rescued from horrendously abusive living conditions by an organization called Farm Sanctuary - prompted me to do a bit of research.

Happily, it turned out that Farm Sanctuary was hosting a fundraising walk in my area this coming weekend, on Sunday, Oct. 9, in Windsor, Conn., to help raise money that will go toward saving the many other farm animals suffering from grievous abuse across the country.

If you'd like to support the organization itself or my participation in the walk, please do so here or via the link below!

Even if you're not an animal fanatic like me, the Benton Museum still has plenty of other cool stuff in their current exhibitions. The museum is open Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturdays and Sunday from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Admission is free, though donations are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment