January 21, 2012

You Say Potato, I Say Po-Tot-o - Colchester, Conn.

As fun to eat as it looks.
Who doesn't love tater tots, I ask you?

If you adore indulging in your fair share of carbs as much as I do, be sure to stop by Cafe on Main some night soon. Located right on the green in Colchester, Conn., Cafe on Main offers one of the friendliest, laid-back neighborhood hangouts around.

Here, nearly every glorious item on the menu - from Philly steak grinders to steamed hamburgers to the aforementioned tots - costs a mere $6 apiece. And we're not talking about skimpy portions, either, my friends. Not to mention there's also a considerably long list of fun beer on tap from which to choose.

Luckily for me, I have a very wise friend named Heather who lives literally across the green from this cozy establishment and knew just whom might enjoy such affordable deliciousness: moi. So being the lovely gal she is - as well as one of my beer-drinking partners-in-crime from those long lost days of college - she cordially invited me and our fellow adventurer, Marisa, out on the town.

Today's Stefcations Highlights:
  • What You'll Find: Inexpensive, comforting pub food - each item a mere $6 apiece - along with many flavorful beers on tap.
  • Where You'll Find it: 20 Main Street, Colchester, Conn., adjacent to the town green.
  • When to Go: Sunday-Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 a.m.; Friday-Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.; Kitchen's open till 11 p.m. everyday; Also, take note: Happy Hour runs M-F from 4-7 p.m. (allegedly with FREE pizza!)



Venturing out into the cold isn't something I'll do without good reason. But offer up the prospect of tater tots smothered in goodness alongside a long list of interesting draft beers, and I'm there.

Hang at the bar or at one of the cozy tables.
With a sign above the bar that reads: "Good food ... Good friends ... Good times," Cafe on Main is true to its word. It's one of those places where you feel instantly comfortable and unhurried, ready to settle in for a few pints and some great conversation.

Our servers were wonderfully amiable and accommodating, making enthusiastic recommendations on food and allowing us the option to taste the beer before ordering the full pint. Note: There are nearly two dozen varieties on tap here, in addition to more than 30 bottled beers. Lots of great choices.

The most refreshing of ciders I think I've ever had.
I started off with a Sam Adams Double Pumpkin Ale - dark and very tasty - but the real highlight was our second drink, which Heather and I shared: Crispin's Cho-Tokkyu Hard Apple Cider. Our valiant server, T.J., told us it would be fantastic - and it was. Made with sake yeast and served very chilled, this cider is a beautiful pale, cloudy gold and super refreshing. Kinda wish I'd listened to Master T.J. from the start.

Meanwhile, the food, of course, hit the spot. Marisa's Philly steak grinder was huge and, reportedly, luscious. But the tots? The tots made my night.

The evil geniuses at Cafe on Main are kind enough to top your tots (or your tortilla chips, onion rings, pub fries, sweet fries, or potato skins) with jack cheese, but then also invite you to bury them in your choice of three additional toppings - everything from chili to pepperoni to black beans to mac and cheese. It's ludicrous. Yet awesome.

I chose a combo of buffalo chicken, jalapenos, and diced tomatoes. Mmmm-mmm. Presented in a huge basket, there were so many tots that I still had plenty left over to take home even after we'd all had a chance to pick at them. Agreed, certainly not the most nutritious of meals, but I believe I'm allowed some naughtiness now and again.

Everyone needs a trusty drinking buddy or two.
In addition to fun food, yummy drinks, and a fab crowd, there are nights with live music (anything from reggae to acoustic rock, just check the calendar). When we were there, the musician - Dave Mack - and his talented backup singer entertained us with covers of Fleetwood Mac, Eric Clapton, and the like. Cafe on Main also hosts trivia nights and weekend days dedicated to soccer-watching and sandwich-eating. And if you're short on a cash, there's an ATM on-site that does not charge a fee (!).

This is a bar for the people, people!




3 comments:

  1. I sat at the very table in your picture! mmm....tots....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ATM fee is probably the #1 reason I'd go. Also, I should never read your blogs when I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete