August 3, 2011

What did you do this weekend?

Just about every Monday, this question surfaces in the lunchroom among my office mates.

Upon the recommendation of those same office mates – and because I almost always seem to have some long-winded answer to this particular question – I figured it really was about time to take their advice and start writing a blog.

I live in Glastonbury, Connecticut, just outside of the state’s capitol of Hartford, in a town situated in a perfectly central location that allows me to reach all sorts of destinations across the state – most often within just an hour or two.

Surprisingly, you don’t have to go far to find fun things to do or fabulous places to eat and drink here in the Constitution State. And frankly, that statement never ceases to shocks me.

You see, I love traveling – in Connecticut and beyond. I'm always game for checking out unfamiliar restaurants, venturing out to somewhere I’ve never been, or finding a cool day or weekend trip. I love food. I love wine. I love beer. (Let’s face it, I enjoy just about any kind of libation, really.) And I love hanging out with my husband, my friends, and my dogs. (I have three – dogs, that is. We’ll get to them another time.)

But here’s where the contradiction comes in: I’m admittedly NOT a lover of Connecticut. Sure, many Nutmeggers will wax poetic about the beauty of the four seasons, but really, summertime is most definitely my bag. And there are only three short months of it here, if we’re lucky. I don’t react well to winter’s short days and freezing temperatures. Those long, desolate months tend to depress and, when the snow’s especially bad, infuriate me. When the leaves begin abandoning the trees come October, I’m merely reminded that winter is inevitably approaching. Each year, I await the late spring day when I can finally peel off my socks and spend my days in sandals. My not-so-secret plan is to move to paradise (otherwise known as San Diego).

So, that being said – what you’ll find here is not insincere, sugar-coated, forced Connecticut “fun,” but real-life tales of my own weekend excursions – close-to-home, stay-at-home, and sometimes considerably further away from home. I think of them as truly enjoyable outings enjoyed by yours truly. Or, as my husband calls them, “Stefcations.”

Here’s hoping that I can help connect a few cool people with more than a few cool places to see and things to do - in Connecticut and beyond.

Thanks for reading,
Stef Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment